We never know where life is going to take us or what challenges it brings. In January 2010 I was happy, so happy I wanted to stay that way for as long as I could. I realised that if Ali and I wanted a long and healthy life together, we had to change. I was clinically obese, had a bad back and my knees were feeling the strain. I had various health problems and I was ageing faster than my years. I looked ahead to a life I did not want. It was time to change. By the end of the year I had lost 4 stone - 56lbs. My confidence rocketed - I had taken control and it had worked. I was exercising, enjoying buying clothes, speaking up for myself.

I began to believe in myself again, I began to dream. For years I had watched marathons with admiration and a lump in my throat. In April 2013, I ran my first marathon.

This blog is about living life as a slim person, staying slim and fulfilling my dreams. Come and join me, support me, advise me!



Take care, Sue

Monday 30 June 2014

Sporting Memories: Bearing the Baton

A little blog to remind me in later years of a big day - the day I ran with the Commonwealth Games Baton.

One of 10 North Berwickers (plus a guide runner) who had the honour of running with the Baton. Three of the Baton Bearers knew my Mum through their volunteering work!



I was the first person to welcome the Baton into North Berwick and it was lovely to see so many friends and family there to wave me on. The folks in blue are the police who have the enviable job of running with the Baton round Scotland. What a job!



The Abbey Care Home brought Mum down to see me along with a few of the residents. Mum had a whale of a time waving at people and smiling for the cameras.  



Folk from the Day Centre and the other Care Homes came along too to cheer me on and Vi and Eric ran with me some of the way.  Ali and my brother were also there to cheer me on.




In life's journey there are days that you hope you will always remember - days like birthdays, wedding days, big significant days that stay in your mind forever. But of course life isn't always like that. If you get dementia or other memory problems then even your most precious memories can disappear.




One day I might not remember that I carried the Baton. Maybe one day someone from http://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.com will come to my house and chat with me about my life and will find out I used to run and that once I carried the Queen's Baton. Maybe they'll find this blog on the web somewhere. I might not remember, but maybe, just maybe they'll be able to show me pictures and for a little while, I will remember that day; and smile.

Happy Running

Take Care

Suex

No comments:

Post a Comment