We never know where life is going to take us or what challenges it brings. In January 2010 I was happy, so happy I wanted to stay that way for as long as I could. I realised that if Ali and I wanted a long and healthy life together, we had to change. I was clinically obese, had a bad back and my knees were feeling the strain. I had various health problems and I was ageing faster than my years. I looked ahead to a life I did not want. It was time to change. By the end of the year I had lost 4 stone - 56lbs. My confidence rocketed - I had taken control and it had worked. I was exercising, enjoying buying clothes, speaking up for myself.

I began to believe in myself again, I began to dream. For years I had watched marathons with admiration and a lump in my throat. In April 2013, I ran my first marathon.

This blog is about living life as a slim person, staying slim and fulfilling my dreams. Come and join me, support me, advise me!



Take care, Sue

Sunday 31 July 2011

Learning About Running: The Magic of Jelly Babies!


All week I'd been psyching myself for a long run. I hate waste and one thing that really gets me motivated is the thought that I might waste all the work I've put in over the last year to get up to half marathon distance. Plus, if I am serious about a marathon next year, I won't have time to start from scratch and I've got a lot to learn about how to fuel myself on a longer run, and I want to get started.

Ali was off being a parking attendant for the Topper Nationals for most of the day, the weather was set fair, so I blitzed the housework and then started getting ready. I applied plasters to potential sore bits. Got water, Jelly Babies and a gel. Then as I headed out - trouble - terminal sportsbra failure.  Both hooks finally gave up the ghost.  Thank goodness I'd the spare one at home. I got changed and just as I was heading out the door again, I felt an ominous ping - a hook on the replacement bra had gone.   

I was one hook away from not being able to run, and me and the sportsbra were beginning to show the strain already.  Should I take this as a warning not to run? Maybe, but I was all fired up and ready to go. So, out with the pliers, hammer, sewing kit and scissors (the sports bra is indeed a miracle of engineering). After a very tense half an hour I'd managed to strap myself in, I'd worry about getting out later.  I was still on for a great run, despite the hiccups!

For some reason I decided to run out to Yellowcraigs along the John Muir Way rather than the beach. I soon realised this was not a good idea. The path had got overgrown since early June and soon I was covered in scratches and nettle stings. But hey, nothing serious, the endorphins took care of it. I went onto the beach, hit the wind and realised I'd made another stupid error - I'd worn short socks and the sand was starting to rub. Up the dunes, hit the nettles again and also took a few wrong paths that were dead ends. My run was turning into a farce. For some reason I was getting it all wrong. Maybe I should have stayed at home and done the ironing (not really!).

By the time I got back to North Berwick things began to get better.  It was lovely running along the beach, jumping puddles and watching the little Toppers.  I ran where I could get great views of the sea and avoiding the crowds, I just wanted to keep running in the glorious sunshine.

I stopped at the view point, finished off the water and ate my first Jelly Baby. My luck changed. As the sugar hit me, I decided not to head home just yet but to do a lap of the park. The Jelly Babies had worked their magic and my legs had energy again. I ate a couple more as I ran and I reckon got at least 3 more miles out of my legs and it would have been more if I'd kept my distances up and not got sand in my socks!

I ended up doing 11 miles, my longest run for several months. It was quite a bit slower than my usual pace, but I can work on that in the gym.  My legs were very red and blotchy but my spirits were high and I really feel I've taken another step on the runners learning curve.

Next time I go out, I will check I am properly sock-ed - not just for avoiding blisters but the right sock for the terrain.  I'll have a spare kit at all times, especially a spare sports bra and I will start experimenting with Jelly Babies.

I made so many wrong decisions yesterday it's ridiculous, but the decision I made to get out there and run was definitely the right one. Despite the niggles and nips, I had a great time and I've learnt a lot of things I really need to know.  I'm planning the next run already.......

Hope you've had a good week and that the week ahead is a good one.

Cheers

Sue

1 comment:

  1. Jelly sweets are fab! At the last two halfs I've done they've had people handing out jelly beans and babies which have been wonderful. I struggle to swallow solids while running but they are good to suck on and get that vital sugar.
    Great job on the run, I sympathise with your sports bra issues...what a nuisance being a woman is at times!

    ReplyDelete