We never know where life is going to take us or what challenges it brings. In January 2010 I was happy, so happy I wanted to stay that way for as long as I could. I realised that if Ali and I wanted a long and healthy life together, we had to change. I was clinically obese, had a bad back and my knees were feeling the strain. I had various health problems and I was ageing faster than my years. I looked ahead to a life I did not want. It was time to change. By the end of the year I had lost 4 stone - 56lbs. My confidence rocketed - I had taken control and it had worked. I was exercising, enjoying buying clothes, speaking up for myself.

I began to believe in myself again, I began to dream. For years I had watched marathons with admiration and a lump in my throat. In April 2013, I ran my first marathon.

This blog is about living life as a slim person, staying slim and fulfilling my dreams. Come and join me, support me, advise me!



Take care, Sue

Sunday 18 December 2011

Taking it easy: slowing down to speed up

I am one of these people who charges about like the proverbial blue ar**ed fly. I do everything far too fast, including running.  I run as fast as I can for as long as I can, or until I can't run any more.   I just don't do slow, and I don't do easy, so a slow easy run wasn't top of my training priorities. That's got to change and last week was part of that lesson. I have to learn to take it easy if I'm going to do this marathon.

My first easy run was on a cold morning, when I decided to slip in an extra run to see how my body coped with 3 runs close together. I went at my jog pace, put on some easy listening and set off. It felt good to be out with no pressure and no hassle, just to enjoy the run. My main focus was to make sure I didn't injure myself or scupper my evening run. It worked.  I had a lovely relaxed run and was up and running that evening, legs fresh and springy.

I forgot about easy runs after that as I focussed on the core long, tempo and sprint/hilly ones. Once again, I was dashing about, making the most of time and training hard. But last Saturday I set off on a long slow run as part of my marathon training. Except, I did it again; I got the pace wrong, I was still too fast.

But the penny had begun to drop. As all the guides say, a marathon is just a really long run, so whatever speed you go, you have to run for 26.2 miles. A slow easy run means your body works within its comfort zone in terms of speed, so you only push on one element - distance.  Now when one reaches the middle years, wear and tear is an issue, so a slow easy is gentle on the limbs, gentle on the joints, gentle on the body and gentle on the mind.  A welcome relief in the frenzied push towards getting that marathon done and everything else.

I have found it really hard to switch off the speed bit of running, partly because it's just my way and I have got into a pace rut. But going fast is also about vanity and ego. In the gym, on the road, on the beach, I hate the thought that people see me running slowly and think I'm not very good. I am aware of every car driver, walker; dog and gym rat and I know that they are all, every one of them, judging my speed - and finding me lacking. I am embarrassed to run slowly.

Egotistical and narcissistic I know. But if I'm going to run a marathon, I have to get over this and run longer, farther and slower and not care what other folk think.  They are, of course, not in the least bit interested, and are not going to be there when I pass the finishing line and complete my first marathon.

I've had to give myself yet another talking to and change how I think.  I have put on a hew head, probably like actors do. In my head I am a serious runner, doing serious training that is essential to me achieving my goal - my marathon. This is my race, my training, my body and mind. I have to get through 26.2 miles more or less alone. It doesn't matter a jot what others think - except of course Ali, my family and friends and they all think I'm bonkers anyway!

So far so good, but I only managed a very small slow run at the gym this week.  No long run this week due to work and social pre Christmas madness (and a slight surfeit of red wine).

This week's stats - are a bit rubbish as a result.  Only 17.5 miles; 4 runs - one intervals, 2 tempos and 1 mini slow.  However, my 9 mile beach run was 4 miles into a strong headwind on soft sand, so I'm not too fussed.  That beach is very very useful when it's icy!

Here's the view today from the beach, one final hill at the end and then back for soup! What a beautiful day to run!



With the holidays coming up, Mum coming out of hospital and Christmas to prepare for, can I up my mileage to 30 miles and get my long run over 15 miles by the New Year??? Watch this space!

Whatever you're up to, I hope you're having a good week and all is well with your world.

Take care

Sue

6 comments:

  1. Hello Sue! I think your story is a real inspiration. I might even get my running shoes out again...

    I know what you mean about feeling that everyone's watching you and judging you. I used to feel very self-conscious when I went out running. But like you also say, nobody's really that interested!

    I wish you all the luck in the world with your first marathon, and hope the training goes well.

    Have a happy Christmas and a great New Year.

    Best wishes,
    Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17.5 miles is another 17.5 miles logged, so well done Sue you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sophie and thanks John. It's great to ages the wisdom and support if my twitter chums to keep me going! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, i'm a great beleiver in listening to my body and running how i feel i can, somedays your body will not run as fast as other days, however much effort you put in. I reckon you're doing ok, so unless you're feeling terrible after/getting injured then carry on regardless, done me no harm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way when people run by me! That I'm all dressed up in fancy running kit...talking the talk but not walking the walk. I try to ignore it by telling myself things like, I'm running 10 miles today but I bet that person is only going 3!

    I don't think you have anything to worry about anyway. In your "going for it" picture you look pretty fast to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dim Run and Santababy, Very helpful advice indeed. Am getting obsessed with numbers! But the bit I really love is how I feel and what's see. That is it! Thank you, :-)x

    ReplyDelete