We never know where life is going to take us or what challenges it brings. In January 2010 I was happy, so happy I wanted to stay that way for as long as I could. I realised that if Ali and I wanted a long and healthy life together, we had to change. I was clinically obese, had a bad back and my knees were feeling the strain. I had various health problems and I was ageing faster than my years. I looked ahead to a life I did not want. It was time to change. By the end of the year I had lost 4 stone - 56lbs. My confidence rocketed - I had taken control and it had worked. I was exercising, enjoying buying clothes, speaking up for myself.

I began to believe in myself again, I began to dream. For years I had watched marathons with admiration and a lump in my throat. In April 2013, I ran my first marathon.

This blog is about living life as a slim person, staying slim and fulfilling my dreams. Come and join me, support me, advise me!



Take care, Sue

Monday 9 April 2012

Spring clean your running garden


Some urges just have to be given into if we are to keep balance and harmony in our lives. For me spring cleaning is a must.  Like an itch that has to be scratched, there is no choice but to get on and do it and boy does it give you a Mojo make over!

The urge to purge runs deep. Like the homing instinct of salmon or the nesting behaviour of birds, when spring starts,  up pops the urge to clean out the nesting box and spruce up the territory; to get things in order, ready for the summer to come.

For the past few days, my eyes been honing in on cluttered cupboards, dusty corners, dead plants and overgrown borders. Everywhere I look I've been critically appraising what needs done and what I can get rid of ready for the blitz.

The deed is now done and I've boosted the stock of our local charity shops with books, handbags, coats and knick knacks. I have been ruthless - well almost!  Two years worth of bills have been shredded, Mum's papers filed and my desk is tidy. There is space in my wardrobe. I know that ere long it will stop feeling wonderfully minimalist and start taking on the characteristics of a yawning chasm that must be filled, but not dear reader just yet. I have pruned the garden to within an inch of its life and consigned to the compost and re cycling bins various ancient and woody plants that need to move on to pastures new. New plants and seeds are making themselves at home in fresh compost-rich soil.

My compost bin, shamefully neglected for two years, has been sorted. I got the fright of my life when two tiny mice leapt out as I took out compost for the raised beds.  I ran into the house and grabbed a sleeping cat. Kyle shivered and hobbled back inside again with ne'er a backward glance. I looked at the mouse and it looked back at me straight in the eye, my heart melted. It will live, but if there is as much as a paw over the threshold of the house, that mouse and its family will be toast. I hope we have an agreement. Note to self to agitate compost bin weekly from now on to make it less of a safe haven.

As I type, my hands are calloused and grubby, my finger nails broken and my knees a bit creaky, but my soul is sated. I have transformed the wild and woolly wilderness of the inside and outside of our house into order and harmony.  Soon summer flowers and frocks will grace the empty beds and rails. For now I gaze on order and it feels good.

I love that feeling of everything being in its right place and being in tune with the season. It makes me feel real and human and in balance, like I have met some ancient human need to till the soil. I don't grow much these days, I don't have time to look after things so I have to be sensible or plants just don't survive. I've put in sweet peas in memory of Dad. I love the colours and the smell and the glorious over-the-top abundance of the flowers that you have to pick if you want the plants to keep flowering - how wonderful is that! I don't do much veg now as I used to, but I like my fresh herbs and this year I've put some runner beans and onions in and I'm having another crack at asparagus.  A token gesture but I love the thrill of eating food I've grown.

Looking back, I've done nothing in the garden for the last two years and it was getting me down. The front of our house was festooned with dead plants in nice pots, the back by overgrown bushes of various kinds.  Every time I look out of the window I felt despondent. Same inside the house. Old clothes cluttering up my life. It made me feel unbalanced, out of kilter, guilty.

The root of the problem? Lack of balance: too much running and rushing about.  Every spare moment I was running, up and down hills, building speed sessions, long runs and intervals into a busy schedule. If I wasn't running I was dashing about trying to do things in a hurry so I could run. Life was a roller coaster of charging about, until of course I could't even walk.

With the Chi Running,  I'm back to basics and it feels good. I'm starting to feel at peace with my running and to go with what feels balanced and right rather than what I think I should do.  I've started to feel less urgency about having to run every opportunity and I'm chucking out some weird ideas I've picked up. One notion I had was that a good runner runs all the time, only rubbish runners walk.  Now I stop and walk when my form and pace drop. I'm amazed how quickly I'm refreshed on every level because I'm not grinding myself into the ground

Because running time is still limited, I have to make choices, and just like with the garden, I need to think carefully about what seeds I want to plant and nurture. I chose to keep my long run and I've re discovered the deep pleasure that comes from just running round North Berwick and getting into that wonderful mind and body thing that happens as you run and run. Who cares about times and distances and marathons - they will all come in due course. That's what I want from running now, that's what motivates me.

That feels a bit like treason, but right now I don't care, I have my Mojo and that's what matters. I just want to see where my Chi Running journey takes me. I've a follow up session with Nick Constantine on Saturday, I'll report back!

Lots of you tapering at the moment, about to harvest the fruits of your labours, the seeds you planted are coming to fruition. May your harvest be rich and timely. Good luck! Major respect for taking on this challenge and looking forward to hearing all your tweets.

Take care

Suex



1 comment:

  1. Love your blogs, so thoughtful and well written! I also spring cleaned this weekend on lots of levels. And this runners not walking thing - I just watched footage of the Swiss Alpine runs, the pros are walking there! I have a thing when I walk where I say "when I reset, I come back stronger" so I use my walk time to work out what needs to be improved (posture, breathing etc) so it's a purposeful walk moment. This works better in training and falls apart in races! Look forward to watching your running garden grow!

    ReplyDelete