We never know where life is going to take us or what challenges it brings. In January 2010 I was happy, so happy I wanted to stay that way for as long as I could. I realised that if Ali and I wanted a long and healthy life together, we had to change. I was clinically obese, had a bad back and my knees were feeling the strain. I had various health problems and I was ageing faster than my years. I looked ahead to a life I did not want. It was time to change. By the end of the year I had lost 4 stone - 56lbs. My confidence rocketed - I had taken control and it had worked. I was exercising, enjoying buying clothes, speaking up for myself.

I began to believe in myself again, I began to dream. For years I had watched marathons with admiration and a lump in my throat. In April 2013, I ran my first marathon.

This blog is about living life as a slim person, staying slim and fulfilling my dreams. Come and join me, support me, advise me!



Take care, Sue

Sunday 18 September 2011

Big Dreams and Small Steps: why the small things matter too



Today I've been thinking a lot about running. Watching everyone heading off for the Great North Run brings a tear to the eye every time. It was very special today because Katie my cousin was running her first ever half marathon and lots of twitter friends were running too.

I've never worked out why I am often don't know things that everyone else on the planet is aware of.  As one of my favourite bosses used to say, 'I think I missed school the day Peking became Beijing!' (younger readers, please replace with your equivalent).   I eventually catch up, but it can take time.  Learning about running is teaching me an awful lot and is fertile ground for learning about life.

The other day I was on the treadmill  running as fast as I could. It was during that really windy weather and I took a notion to run like the wind. Off I went, low resistance, high speed, no timer. Five  minutes in I realised I hadn't thought this through, what was I trying to achieve in this session? Was I going to run as fast as I could for as long as I could? Was I going to do speed intervals? Was I going for a faster 5K? Each  goal required a completely different approach. My usual 'go with the flow' wasn't working.

I just couldn't decide what to do! I swithered. I recorded 5 minute splits; I sped right up towards the end of the splits. I ran as fast as I could now and then. I sort of had a recovery between bursts, but tempted by fast times and speed, I didn't recover properly before I went haring off again. Every now and again I'd go for a 5K fastest time. I was all over the place and I couldn't make a decision.

Result? I ran my fastest top speed ever, but I have no idea for how long. I did an okay 5K time, but not my fastest, even though I'd run my little legs off. My average speed was low because I had sort of done half hearted recoveries which meant I didn't recover, but I did slow down.  I'd definitely had a good work out, but I was disgruntled and dissatisfied that I'd worked so hard but hadn't achieved as much as I could have. It makes improving really hard too - what am I improving on?

A quick sun salutation and the healing waters of the Virgin Omni shower worked their magic. It gradually dawned on me that my love of life and enthusiasm for almost everything and anything are great. But having a dream is not enough. You have to commit. You have to focus and get down and serious about the details of what you want and and concentrate on the small things, the baby steps that get you there.

I know I can achieve really difficult things if I set my mind to it, I've done that. I lost a shed load of weight. I changed my life to care for Mum and Dad. I did a half marathon. I know sooner or later and with some luck I can finish a marathon.  But I'm now wondering if I can go further? faster? Can a focus on the small things give me bigger, bolder dreams?

The saying goes that the longest journey starts with the first step. After that treadmill session I realised that whilst dreams will inspire you to great heights,  the teeny tiny steps can get you to places you've never dreamed of.  If I can work consistently and in a disciplined way, using every step to get me there, I'll run those 26 plus miles and maybe I'll challenge myself to more.....  I don't know quite where this will take me, but I'm going to explore.  Watch this space!

Take care

Sue

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! I remember the first kilo I lost -went on to lose 21- and how distant my goal weight felt. But I made it. Same with running; three weeks away from my first half marathon! Step by step all the way! :) @msclaresmith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful first half marathon, isn't it great to lose that weight and run! Well done, we both know what it takes to get there and what that run means! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete